Monday, June 27, 2011

Lynx Prarie, Edge of Appalachia Nature Preserve


 On Saturday, we headed to Lynx Prarie, on the Edge of Appalachia Nature Preserve. It is located in Adams County, in the small town of Lynx. The trailhead is located at the back of East Liberty Cemetery off Tulip Road. It's very isolated--you'd never know it was there unless you were told to look for it.

 The terrain varies on the short (like less than two miles) trail. It takes about 2 hours since there's lots to stop and see. While it was a little overgrown, you can't really get lost (but don't try! print out a map before you go).
 As I said...the terrain varies a lot. On the PDF I link to above, you will find a map and detailed descriptions of various stops along the way. You can walk from a prarie to a creek (this cute picture was taken at a creek there by my friend Stacia of my husband and me) to old growth forest to newer stands of trees.
 One of the most interesting plants is the prarie dock, which is huge and looks prehistoric to me. You can find a large variety of native and rare plants--I am pretty good at wildflower identification but found a few on this trip I had to look up. You can download this species list to help.
Lastly, here's  a shot of one of the oaks that some believe was trained by Native Americans to bend at the trunk to mark a trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment